Just got back late last night from 5 days in Las Vegas (no gambling, just some much needed relaxation and some great Vegas shows). I read Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. What a phenomenal book that I found difficult to put down (might have helped that I read 80% of it at one of Mandalay Bay’s pools and the other 20% on the flight home).
Some of the questions that Levitt and Dubner answer are:
- Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool?
- What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?
- Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?
- How much do parents really matter?
- What kind of impact did Roe v. Wade have on violent crime?
Reading this book will definitely give one something to talk about in casual conversation as I discovered on the plane when the woman next to me was reading over my shoulder and inquired about the book. I highly recommend this great read.
(c) Rabbi Jason Miller | http://blog.rabbijason.com | Twitter: @RabbiJason | facebook.com/rabbijasonmiller